- Things To Do
- Parks and Recreation
- Athletics & Fitness
- Youth Sports
- Basketball Info for Parents
Basketball Info for Parents
Every Question You Could Possibly Ask About Basketball
You probably have lot of questions. That's why we created a list of Every Question You Could Possibly Ask about Basketball and answered all those questions. Take a look before you ask.
Team Sport Registration Policy
The Broadview Heights Parks and Recreation Department strives to provide one of the finest recreational athletic programs in the area. In order to maintain the quality of our athletic programs and organize teams in a timely manner, we have established the following registration policy for our team sports.
Players registering for an athletic program during the published registration period are guaranteed placement on a team for that season. Though NOT guaranteed, we will make every effort to accommodate special requests such as being placed on a team with friends or avoiding certain days for practice.
No refunds will be given after the registration period. ( Note exception further down this page.)
Players wishing to play in a league other than the one indicated by their age MUST register in their age appropriate league first then submit a league change request form during the registration period. League changes are not guaranteed and players registering for their age appropriate league will be given priority over players requesting a league change into that league. League changes will not be approved or denied until after the registration period ends.
If the request is denied, a refund request will be accepted providing the registration took place prior to the registration deadline.
Note: Carpooling, convenience, to play with siblings, to play with neighborhood kids or to play for a particular coach are NOT valid reasons for a league change.
If your league change is approved and it is determined your child’s skill level is NOT comparable to other players in that league, he or she will be moved to the age appropriate league prior to the season beginning.
Anyone attempting to register for an athletic program after the published registration deadline is not guaranteed placement on a team. That player will only be placed on a team if openings exist. Otherwise they will be placed on a wait list, and as openings become available, they will be called in the order their late registration was received.
Additionally, an automatic late registration fee will be charged on all registrations that are accepted after the registration deadline. The amount of the fee will be determined by the program and the age group.
Late Registrations/Special Requests
Following the published registration deadline, NO SPECIAL REQUESTS WILL BE HONORED.
Players will be placed on teams with available spots regardless of "play with" requests.
The Broadview Heights Code of Conduct
By participating in or attending any athletics program in Broadview Heights, you are agreeing to abide by the Broadview Heights Code of Conduct as outlined below
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for the children, not the adults.
- I will follow the rules and regulation of the Broadview Heights Recreation Department.
- I will be a positive role model by encouraging sportsmanship and by showing respect and courtesy at all times.
- I will not engage in any form of disrespectful conduct toward officials, coaches, players, fans, recreation center staff, league representatives or city officials at any time.
- I will not engage in any form of harassment, taunting, booing, use profane language or gestures, toward coaches, players, fans, officials or city officials either directly or indirectly, before, during or at any time after a sporting event.
- I understand that any physical violence, intimidation or threat thereof will result in immediate expulsion from the league and may result in a permanent ban from all activities.
- I will not post any derogatory remarks or commentary about the league, coaches, parents, players, staff, officials or city officials on any social media or distribute any derogatory remarks or commentary in the form of a mass email to a team, group of coaches, parents, or any third party nor will I encourage others to do so.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games. I will not verbally or through gestures, directly or indirectly question or criticize an official, their calls or their decisions even though I may disagree with it.
- I will never approach an official for the purpose of criticizing or expressing any discontent before, during or after an event.
- As a parent, I will respect and support my child’s coach. If I have a concern I will not discuss it at the game field or in front of players or other parents, but will take the time to discuss it at an agreed upon time and location with a league representative present if necessary.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that could endanger the health and well-being of the players.
- I will teach my child to treat other players, coaches, umpires and spectators with respect, regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
Download a PDF of the Code of Conduct
State of Ohio Concussion Law
To the Parents/Guardian of all Broadview Heights Youth Sports Participants,
In April of 2013, a new law went into effect in the state of Ohio that requires all youth sports instructors and coaches to complete concussion awareness training. It also requires that all parents receive a document prepared by the Ohio Department of Health that educates parents regarding the symptoms and treatment of concussions. Here is the link to the information required to be provided to all participants (provided by the Department of Health): Concussion Awareness (PDF). Please review this information prior to your child participating in any youth sports program.
Please know that we are enthusiastically supportive of this initiative. The safety of the participants in our programs is extremely important to us. Our staff, coaches and officials are in the process of taking the required training. Going forward, this information will automatically print out with every registration receipt. The information will also be posted permanently on our website.