Other Public Education Videos can be viewed at our Department YouTube Channel
Avoid touching or approaching a fallen power line
Downed power lines are dangerous. Never touch them. For safety's sake, always assume that a fallen power line is live, and follow these guidelines:
- Avoid touching the downed line with your hand or an object, such as a stick, broom or pole.
- Avoid touching anything, such as a car, object or equipment, or anyone who is in contact with a fallen power line.
- Keep children and pets away from fallen electric lines.
- Avoid driving over a fallen power line.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately to report a fallen power line.
Stay safe if a fallen power line touches your car
If your vehicle encounters a downed power line, follow these safety rules:
- Stay inside your car. The ground around your car may be energized.
- Sound the horn, roll down your window and call for help.
- Warn others to stay away. Anyone who touches the equipment or ground around your car can be injured.
- Use your mobile phone to call 9-1-1.
- Wait until the fire department or police tell you it is safe to get out of your car before exiting the vehicle.